News

Port Colborne resident fined $750 for disabling smoke alarm

In this file photo, Port Colborne Fire and Emergency Services Deputy Fire Chief Mike Bendia, left, and Fire Chief Tom Cartwright, right, stand outside an apartment building at 45 Victoria St. on Sunday July 2, 2017 in Port Colborne, ON. Firefighters dealt with a fire in a third floor apartment.

In this file photo, Port Colborne Fire and Emergency Services Deputy Fire Chief Mike Bendia, left, and Fire Chief Tom Cartwright, right, stand outside an apartment building at 45 Victoria St. on Sunday July 2, 2017 in Port Colborne, ON. Firefighters dealt with a fire in a third floor apartment.

The tenant of a Port Colborne apartment building has been fined $750 after pleading guilty to disabling a smoke alarm to make it inoperable.

On July 2 at 45 Victoria St., the day of the fire, Port Colborne Fire and Emergency Services Chief Tom Cartwright told The Tribune there were no working smoke alarms in the unit. In a release issued on Thursday, the department stated a subsequent investigation revealed the smoke alarm unit had been taken down from the ceiling of the third-floor apartment.

On Oct. 4, the tenant appeared in Provincial Offences Court and pled guilty to disabling the alarm.

There was no loss of human life because of the incident, but a cat died in the fire.

In the release, Cartwright reminded people the Ontario Fire Code requires homes to have working smoke alarms on every level and outside of sleeping areas. Carbon monoxide alarms are required if the residence has a fuel fired appliance or attached garage. He says in the release violations of the fire code will not be tolerated. 



Featured Businesses

Go to the Marketplace »