For the past several weeks the news has been filled with reports of one horrifying natural disaster after another – Hurricanes Harvey, Irma and Maria ravaging the islands of the Caribbean and the Gulf coasts of Texas and Florida, and an earthquake devastating Mexico City and vicinity . . .
Dennis Gannon, The Standard
The Standard recently reported that in 2018 the city plans to re-configure the “five points” intersection where Geneva, St. Paul, Queenston and Niagara streets all meet. The plan includes re-routing Niagara Street away from intersecting with the other three streets.
Readers in St. Catharines have been able to borrow books since the establishment of the Mechanics’ Institute in the 1840s, but that was essentially a private institution and patrons did have to pay a fee for the books they borrowed.
In late August 1874, Governor General Lord Dufferin and Lady Dufferin undertook an official visit to southern Ontario — London, St. Thomas, Simcoe, Cayuga, Welland ... They finally reached St. Catharines on the afternoon of Friday, Aug. 28.
The first bridges across the Niagara River (first for pedestrians and carriages, later also allowing for railroad traffic) opened in the late 1840s and early 1850s. They were a good distance away from the Falls, crossing the Niagara Gorge where the CN crosses today at the eastern end of Bridge Street in Niagara Falls.
Aug. 6, is the 85th anniversary of the official opening of the latest Welland Ship Canal, the fourth realization of the vital economic link between Lakes Erie and Ontario that has meant so much to Niagara and to all of North America since the first canal opened in November 1829.
A lot of ink has been used this year in writing about the 150th anniversary of Confederation.
While out walking recently along the east side of Twelve Mile Creek between Glendale Avenue and downtown, I began to wonder about the path that the Creek is taking today. There are places where the shapes of the slopes down into the Creek valley, and related depressions in the adjacent land – especially at one place below Glenridge, just north of t
It’s a bright, sunny day, probably in late 1911 or early 1912, and the men of Newman Brothers construction company have paused to pose for a photo.
For upwards of a century, the southern half of the large triangular plot bounded by Niagara, Geneva and Church streets was mostly occupied by a huge planing mill producing lumber and all sorts of trim for local builders.
Of all the sites along Yates Street, from St. Paul West up to Adams Street, the southwest corner of Yates and Salina has probably had the most varied history.
Recognizing the need eventually to establish new parishes for local Roman Catholics as the city grew in the 1930s and 1940s, Monsignor Denis Morris acquired land on Russell Avenue at the foot of Henry Street as a possible site to serve the city’s north end.
In the past, this feature has twice been devoted to the rail yard that for more than half a century occupied the strip of land on the south side of Welland Avenue between Clark and Court streets.
William Bartlett Burgoyne was a many faceted individual. He was much more than “just” the founder of the St. Catharines Standard and its editor/publisher for three decades, from 1891 to 1921. He was involved in all manner of local undertakings, usually those aimed at civic betterment.
Our old photo this week shows what the Old Canal valley looked like north of the Burgoyne Bridge a century or so ago.
The house in our old photo this week belonged Samuel Leonard St. John (1820-1881), a native of Pennsylvania who came here with his family and pursued a successful career as merchant and broker.
This old photo of the Welland Avenue Methodist Church was published in 1904. It actually documents two phases in the life of that church.
It’s been almost twenty years since I last featured this old photo, but a lot has happened since then.
Our old photograph this week was taken in about 1914 and shows a group of men gathered around a vehicle that had been important from day one in construction of the Welland Ship Canal.
Toward the end of the 19th century a new type of residential construction came on the scene. The traditional methods — wood frame, stone, and brick — were joined by poured concrete homes.